We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
gb Libraries»Forums
Barret Gaylor
31 posts
I am a game designer who recently became interested in coding in a handmade way. I am not that experienced, but I want to learn.
gb_regex bug or am i just doing it wrong?
I am trying to use the gb_regex.h file to parse a string and i am running into an infinite loop. the expression i am compiling is
char *ChatMessageRegex = R"Yes(^:[A-Za-z0-9_]+![A-Za-z0-9_]+@[A-Za-z0-9_]+\.tmi\.twitch\.tv PRIVMSG #[A-Za-z0-9_]+ :(.+))Yes";

Then I am running this code:
response ParseResponse(char *Buffer)
{
    response Result = {};

gbRegex Regex;
    gbreError Error = gbre_compile(&Regex, ChatMessageRegex, Q_strlen(ChatMessageRegex));

int Count = gbre_capture_count(&Regex);
    gbreCapture Captures; 
    gbreBool Match = gbre_match(&Regex, Buffer, Q_strlen(Buffer), &Captures, Count);

return Result; 
}

the char *Buffer will be
":tmi.twitch.tv 001 barret5ocal_tog_dev :Welcome, GLHF!\r\n\n:tmi.twitch.tv 002 barret5ocal_tog_dev :Your host is tmi.twitch.tv\r\n\n:tmi.twitch.tv 003 barret5ocal_tog_dev :This server is rather new\r\n\n:tmi.twitch.tv 004 barret5ocal_tog_dev :-\r\n\n:tmi.twitch.tv 375 barret5ocal_tog_dev :-\r\n\n:tmi.twitch.tv 372 barret5ocal_tog_dev :You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.\r\n\n:tmi.twitch.tv 376 barret5ocal_tog_dev :>\r\n\n"

which shouldn't match so the call should return false (sorry about the long string the runs off the page. I wanted to make sure the string you got was correct)

The first question is whether I did anything wrong in this expression or code?

Also I figured out that the problem starts when the gbre_match call gets to the first '[' in the expression. When gbre__exec_single get to the '[' and runs the GBRE_OP_ONE_OR_MORE case, it calls gbre__exec_single recursively and runs the GBRE_OP_ANY_OF case. This case calls the gbre__context_no_match and set the gbreContext.offset to -1. I'm not sure gbre__context_no_match is supposed to set the offset to -1 or the op, because I feel like setting the offset to -1 is what is causing the infinite loop.

I think the problem happens when this code gets gets to gbre__consume. this for loop
for (;;) {
            c = gbre__exec_single(re, op, str, str_len, c.offset, 0, 0);
            if (c.offset > str_len) break;
            if (c.op >= re->buf_len) return c;

next_c = gbre__exec(re, c.op, str, str_len, c.offset, 0, 0);
            if (next_c.offset <= str_len) {
                if (captures)
                    gbre__exec(re, c.op, str, str_len, c.offset, captures, max_capture_count);
                best_c = next_c;
                if (!is_greedy) break;
            }
        }
might be the problem since the only way to break from the loop is if the c.offset > str_len, which it never will since it is constantly being set to -1.

Please tell me if this is a bug, if I am doing something wrong, or if you need more info from me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
I am ginger thus have no soul.
Short answer: gb_regex is bug ridden and needs a complete rewrite. So yes, it doesn't work as you expect :D

I apologize for this and I will try and get it working in the future.
Barret Gaylor
31 posts
I am a game designer who recently became interested in coding in a handmade way. I am not that experienced, but I want to learn.
Thank you for the response
Barret Gaylor
31 posts
Hello. I was wondering what the gbre__consume function actually did? I'm trying to debug the gb_regex.h so that I can use it in my own project.